Myofascial Release is a hands-on modality that requires contact with your skin. Your body will be placed in various positions during the treatment so you should wear appropriate clothing.
The following is recommended:
- Women should wear a two-piece swimsuit or a bra/sports-bra and loose-fitting elastic waist shorts.
- Men should wear loose-fitting elastic waist shorts or workout briefs.
- No lotions or perfumes should be worn to a treatment.
Even one session is better than none! There is no formula on how many treatments are needed because no two people are alike. Every “body” tells a story. Treatment results vary with each individual.
Generally, goals are reached within four to twelve weeks of treatment, 1 to 3 times per week. Chronic and more severe conditions will require greater frequency and increased length of treatment.
E-Motion Therapy is a fee-for-service therapy clinic accepting cash, checks, health savings cards and credit cards. Payment may be reimbursed by your insurance provider under your “out-of-network” benefits for many insurance carriers.
Your payment is due at the time of service. This allows the therapist to concentrate on your health and healing process and determine your plan of care according to YOUR needs and not the insurance company’s needs.
Many people feel great when they experience muscular releases! Some people report feeling energized, lighter, and a deep sense of relaxation. They can move around better than when they arrived after years of being restricted. Please drink plenty of water to flush out toxins in the body at the cellular level.
Sometimes we experience what is known as a Healing Crisis. This occurs when the treatment stirs up tissue memory. Congestion that had been trapped inside of a fascial restriction needs to re-adjust as the body learns a new away to move (kind of like removing steel beams from a building after re-modeling). Your body may just need time to adapt. You may experience mild soreness, heightened emotional awareness, temporary exacerbation of pain, or have a generalized feeling of fatigue. This is a good sign that your body is releasing. Please drink plenty of water and report any healing crisis to Phaedra. Follow up treatments, self-treatment, and performing your home program will help this clear. It usually resolves in a few hours to a few days.
As MFR releases restrictions, your fascia will need to reorganize itself. You may feel sore, or have “therapeutic pain” for a few days after your treatment. Sometimes, people feel so much better they may over do it by exercising or catching up on things they have let slide while they were in pain and can have some aggravations from using their bodies in new ways.
Here are some session tips:
- If you are fearful or uncomfortable at any time, it is very important to say “ease up” or “halt” to stop a technique.
- Provide feedback to the therapist of any sensations you notice in your body. This will help locate the root cause of the restrictions. Discuss sensations (tenderness, tingling, tightness, redness, etc.) with your therapist.
- Feel free to share thoughts and emotions during your session. As an MFR therapist, I may ask open-ended questions, but you do not need to respond. You are in charge!
- Breathe into and visualize your muscles softening into sensations that you feel to help them release.